Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cheeseman Park - Denver, CO

A BRIEF HISTORY ON MY CONNECTION WITH CHEESEMAN PARK

I attended Cheeseman Academy from 1st grade through 6th. My class was the last to graduate from the school, in fact.

Cheeseman Academy was situated on the fringe of Cheeseman Park. It was housed in a glorious old brownstone mansion. It had started out as a girl's school, complete with dormitories, in the early 1900s. I'm not sure when it became a co-ed private school, but a woman named Ms. Miller owned and ran it for years and years. She died when I was in 5th grade I believe. Maybe 4th. Her son and his wife took over the school when I was in 6th grade, then decided it was too much, the building was too old and needed too much upkeep, enrollment was dropping so...they opted to shut it down.

THE DREAMS

For a long time I used to have horrible dreams featuring Cheeseman Academy. Dreams not inspired by terrible teachers or bullies I had to contend with, but just by the feeling I sometimes got while at the school. Sometimes it was just a plain spooky place to be.

I'd dream about a malevolent spirit. One that lived up in the attic, a place that in real life students were rarely allowed to go. When we were, it was always in the presence of a teacher, never by ourselves. It would torment me in my dreams...fly down at me as I was walking upstairs, stalk me in the gym, make me not want to be left alone in certain classrooms... I loved attending the school when I was little, but I sure wasn't always happy to dream about it.

I had the dreams on and off until Cheeseman was finally torn down sometime in the '90s. I haven't dreamt of the school since then..nor of the ghost.

CHEESEMAN'S HISTORY AS A CEMETERY

At one point, Cheeseman was the old city cemetery. Mt. Prospect Cemetery was its name. In 1890 an Act of Congress mandated that this parcel of property was not supposed to be used for a cemetery but was supposed to be a park. Bodies were removed --paid for by relatives if they could afford it and were wanting to claim family members.

However, in the area known as Potter's Field , where the poor and indecent were buried, who was there to pay for their removal? The city of course. And they paid a man named E.P. McGovern $1.90 a body.

But McGovern had to use children's caskets because a bad mining accident in Utah created a shortage of adult caskets. But since adult bodies wouldn't fit in the children's caskets, he sized them to fit. As you might expect, some discrepancies in billing resulted.

The health commissioner of the time decided to halt further removal of bodies and to seal the land. Some now wonder if this sealed the fate of the park that was to come...

GHOST ACTIVITY IN AND AROUND THE PARK

Sine Cheeseman Academy resided on the edge of the park, we were there almost every day. (Winter excluded.) But on nice fall and spring afternoons it was the rule not the exception to go for an outing to the park.

Some have reported strange feelings or interactions while in the park. Such as laying on the grass and feeling like they couldn't get up, like something was holding them down. I never felt anything while I was in the park...only while I was in the school.

And others who live in the houses or condos and apartments that line the park have felt similar things. Some have been more friendly than the ghost who inhabited my dreams, but some have provided quite a shock.

WHERE IS CHEESEMAN PARK IN DENVER?

Cheeseman Park is located between E. 8th Ave and E. 13th Ave and Race St. and Humboldt St.

FUN FACTS

  • Cheeseman Park's history was partly the inspiration for the movie Poltergeist.
  • The Denver Botanic Gardens is also by the park. Because the DBG was also erected over the old cemetery, some people have reported experiencing paranormal activity there too. In fact, an old coffin and remains was recently unearthed when the DBG started construction on a parking garage.

9 comments:

  1. OOh, interesting post! And "resized the bodies to fit...." gave me absolute shudders. Gak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended Cheeseman Academy too but left after grade 4. Yes, I remember Mrs. Miller. In fact, I still have old art projects from Cheeseman. Amazing! I'll never forget my experience there. I liked Cheeseman much better than grades 5&6 at "that" public school. Cheeseman Park is still in use but went down hill because it turned into a gay scene and sex was going on in parked cars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you have Mrs. Grissom for art by any chance? That was my favorite class but she was NOT my favorite person. She scared me! I wonder if we knew each other? There was some gay stuff already going on in the park when I went there. (Mid 70s to early 80s) We didn't really understand it. Enough to chuckle and snicker about it, but otherwise we felt the park was ours and we paid them no mind. Thanks so much for leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney, I remember you! I was in 3rd grade our last year at Cheeseman. I found this post as I was trying to research the exact location of the school to start a Facebook group of Cheeseman Alumni. I remember Mrs. Grissom, as she was the only teacher to give me a C in anything until college, LOL. What a mean old lady, but she did teach a few good things in sewing class!

    Erika Pierce Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erika! I am so sorry it took me forever to respond. I meant to right away and who knows what distracted me. This is so exciting to be reunited this way! Do you have the Facebook group up yet? I'm going to friend you. Send me a page suggestion if you have one or when you get it. Ms. Grissom was TOUGH! And she scared me. I both loved her class and hated it. I never did well in penmanship. I tried and tried to have pretty, nice writing. It's only gotten worse. I can only imagine what she'd say about it now... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing site here for those who attended Cheeseman Academy like myself. I still have a school day picture with my 1st grade classmates. I had fun at this school and I still have those art projects. As I understand, Ms. Miller was giving better grades to students to make her school look good and was the reason the school closed. I left after the 4th grade. The DPS elementary neighborhood school with a crappy social environment. My half-sister went to St. Mary's Acedemy. They didn't close up. I attended another private school in south Denver from grades 7-8, but that school closed down as well. Back to public schools again and forget about grade 9 as I ditched a lot to get away from those bussing days to Cole Junior High. It was bad in the late 1970s in Five Points.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy smokes! I can't believe you got bussed into Cole. Scary! This was neat to read your memories of things, and to read about schools like St. Marys. My mom had wanted me to continue on there after I left Cheeseman, but that environment wasn't for me. I took my chances with public school. Went to Hamilton for middle school. Those were rough years. But when I went to East for high school things improved greatly. I loved it there and had a wonderful high school experience. Thanks for stopping by to leave your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I attended Cheeseman Academy from 1966 - 1969. Mrs. Miller ran the school and lived across the street. Other teachers were Mrs. Sondels, Mrs. Conway and Mrs. Brixius. I remember having strange dreams, as well, but not as vivid as yours. There was a staircase in the front entry way that frequented my dreams with a tall, victorian woman with her hair high on her head. She was always descending the staircase. Not sure what it meant, but I still get goosebumps thinking about it. The whole school was so Hogwarts esq. The attic had classrooms in it, when I attended, but they were very small. The basement housed a lady who was a seamstress or theater assistant, not sure which. It was 1st - 3rd grade, so I'm sure there are some cobwebs in my memory. I moved to Texas, but visited in the early 80's. Went to the school, but it was boarded up. Sad. Good memories. Dale Gernert, DeeDee Windsor, Ramona Brown, John Michael Keys, Mike Smith. I remember those kids and if you are still out there, I'd love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow, how could I have forgotten about Mrs. Miller living across the street? And your description of the Victorian lady on the stairs gave me goosebumps too! I wonder what that meant? WILD! And boy was it Hogwarts-esque, wasn't it? That's a fact, Jack! SO glad you took the time to leave a comment. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete