Thursday, May 21, 2009

Haunted Landmarks

Today I stumbled across a pretty good article on Digg called "Someone Grab Scooby-Doo: The World's Most Haunted Landmarks."

What I liked most about the article: the pics and details of the ghosts supposedly haunting each haunted landmark.

What I didn't like about the article: I was surprised some places were left off. (Stanley Hotel, Myrtles Plantation, Waverly Sanatorium...)

So what were the haunted landmarks listed in the article?
  1. Edinburgh Castle - Edinburgh, Scotland
  2. The Whaley House - San Diego, CA
  3. Bran Castle - Transylvania, Romania
  4. Alcatraz - San Francisco, CA
  5. Borley Rectory - Essex, England
  6. Winchester Mystery House - San Jose, CA
  7. Pollepel Island - Hudson River, NY
  8. The Queen Mary - Long Beach, CA
  9. The Bell House - Adams, TN
  10. Rayham Hall - Norfolk, England
  11. The Tower of London - London, England

I also learned of a few new places I wasn't previously familiar with (Borley Rectory, Pollepel Island, and Rayham Hall).

Speaking of learning things...I also learned Edinburgh Castle has a canine graveyard, which I didn't previously know, or that there are only two in Scotland.

Which made me wonder: How many canine graveyards does the U.S. have? How many do other countries have?

I like articles that make me think! (Duh. I suppose that's what everyone appreciates about a good article, right?)

But something else I want to know: why was it so slanted towards England and the USA? Besides Romania and Scotland, no other countries made the list. I know darn well there are other haunted landmarks out there.

Maybe the author is saving them for a follow-up article? If not, for any of you more worldly Haunt Jaunters out there, I'd sure appreciate an article on more international haunted landmarks. (Either for HauntJaunts.net's travel articles or to be referred to an already published one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment